Traveling on the Trem das Águas is an ancient railway designed and built by the English 115 years ago and able to tread on the legendary railroad traveled by D. Pedro II and all his imperial entourage, when they sought the mild climate of Minas Gerais and the salubrity of the waters Of region. You will travel in the tunnel of time, listening to the melodious whistles and poetic beating of the bell of an original 'Maria Fumaça' (locomotive of American manufacture of 1925), with its cadenced noise of the expulsion of the steam and the inimitable sound of the ranger of its brassages .
TOUR PICTURE GALLERY
HOW TO GET THERE
On holidays and holidays extra trains may occur
Small railway museum in both stations.
The train is pulled by an authentic steam locomotive and old wooden cars, original era of steam power.
Besides the train itself, visitors can enjoy an authentic railroad of the times of the empire, and a railroad designed and built by British engineers.
At the railway station of São Lourenço the visitor has at disposal various types of cheeses, sweets and local drinks, such as cachaça and liqueurs.
On the train, traveling in the special class there is a tasting of cheeses, cachaças, sweets and other local delicacies.
The railroad originated from a concession made in 1875 by the Imperial Government to José Vieira Couto de Magalhães and Visconde (Viscont) de Maua (historical Brazilian rail projects personage), with the name of the Railroad “Minas – Rio”, this being the last engagement of Maua with a rail project .
Construction work began on April 21, 1881 commanded by an English company called "The Minas and Rio Railway".
The railway was released on 06.14.1884 and their opening voyage with the presence of Dom Pedro II and his entourage (who had already visited the works in 1883). On the opening voyage Dom Pedro ran all 170 kms connecting the cities of “Cruzeiro” to “Três Corações” and such their satisfaction with the conduct of the inaugural train was when arriving at “Três Corações” he honored the English engineer, Henry Turner, with a hug.
Later the English railroad returned the grant to the federal government, which after several changes of administration was created the RMV (Rede Mineira de Viação) and finally, in 1991, already under the control of RFFSA, the railway was closed.
Currently, the 170 original kms, only 20 are in operating conditions, thanks to the work of ABPF that keeps open to traffic stretches in “Passa Quatro” city, where operates the “Trem da Serra” and the “Trem das Águas” at “São Lourenço” city.