The construction of the railway began officially in February 1880. Considered impractical by numerous European engineers at the time, the work began on three simultaneous fronts: between Paranaguá and Morretes (42 km), between Morretes and Roça Nova (38 km) and between Roça Nova and Curitiba (30 km). The objective was to strengthen the relationship between the cities of the coast of Paraná and the capital of the state, with a view to the social development of the coast. In addition, it was essential to connect the Port of Paranaguá to the states of Southern Brazil, so that the grain production of the states could be discharged and, in this way, guarantee support for the economic development of the region. For the work, more than 9,000 men were recruited, who earned between two and three thousand reis per day. Most of them lived in Curitiba or on the coast, And it was composed of immigrants who worked in the fields. The effort and daring of blue-collar workers, engineers and other professionals has resulted in one of the most daring works of world engineering. After five years, the railroad was inaugurated on February 2, 1885. Engineers, federal and local authorities, journalists and other guests participated in the first trip. The trip between Paranaguá and Curitiba lasted nine hours: when arriving at the Capital, more than 5,000 people waited for the train. In its one hundred and ten kilometers stretch, the railway holds hundreds of engineering works of art: 13 active tunnels and 1 disabled, 30 bridges and a number of large viaducts. Of note are the São João Bridge, 55 meters high, and the Carvalho Viaduct, which connects tunnels 4 and 5, Seated on five masonry pillars on the slope of the rock - the passage through this stretch causes the sensation of a trip through the air, as if the train was floating. It was the first work with these characteristics to be built in the world. Few destinations in Brazil have the historic value of the walks along the rails of Serra Verde Express.